Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Seats, seats and more seats...

So, if you look back a couple of posts you'll notice that I have this gigantic grey seat that is great for touring but isn't very "cool". I want to keep it intact for long rides but want something a bit more sporty for commuting and around town so now I was looking at having two seats. Having two seats is expensive...

Here's why:

1. I could make a new seat pan... great idea, lots of diy seat pan how-to's but not a lot of how to mount the seat... this means I'm looking at buying the hinges and post which starts at $45 (not too bad). Then I'd need to go cut foam, sew leather and so on...

2. I could buy a used seat... I really like this idea, but it will be at least $160...

3. I could buy a new seat, like one of those fancy corbin ones... but this would be upwards of $300...

4. Buy a new seat pan (fiberglass), runs around $130... still requires me to paint, foam and leather it...

So it looks like I'm going to do some saving. I like the idea of rolling my own, that sounds like a fun project but mounting seems challenging and worries me slightly. I still might head this direction though particularly since I found this:  Converting a /5 seat from hinged to lift off. This looks promising as I would still need a post, but no longer need hinges (maybe a bit of a break?).

Anyway... I'm good with what I have so far, but this is on the near horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment