Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Entry...

First Post!!! Holy crap, finally got the bike (after months of looking). Had a huge challenge of identifying exactly what I wanted, what was available and what was in budget. Found a 1983 BMW R80RT on craigslist.

The bike isn't the prettiest thing in the world but had a number of things going for it.

  • 60k miles put it into the young category for airheads
  • Had only two owners, the most recent since 1985
  • Was always maintained at the same place - Irv Seaver BMW in Anaheim
  • Was set for touring - which is good because I wanted to haul it up and down the coast of CA
  • Is a great classic bike with a huge following

I had a frightening first trip on it, it is a bigger bike than I had ridden before (800cc), I hadn't ridden in CA traffic at rush hour before and I had about 7 miles to go... One additional thing... the idle was off and it kept stalling. Eventually I figured out how to work the throttle so it wouldn't stall, but that requires some immediate resolution. 

Since that day...
  • Insured it
  • Registered it
  • Switched to the left petcock rather than the right (running better)
  • Bought some fuel line to replace the fuel line that is aging on the bike today
  • Rode it to work
What I'm doing next...
  • Getting some inline fuel filters
  • Draining and cleaning the tank
  • Cleaning the petcocks
  • Switching the fuel lines
  • Getting a mechanic to give it a quick once over
Wheeee!!! So exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment