Monday, August 27, 2012

Leaky, leaky, leaky...

So, I dwelled on the leaky shift lever and started stressing out. Went and picked up some Valvoline 80W90 GL-5 Hypoid Gear Oil from Pepboys (so I wouldn't run out of oil). Came home and attempted to remove the transmission oil plug but it was stuck. I had the standard equivalent of the 8mm allen wrench and couldn't find the metric one so I ran out to sears.

Had dinner with the lady, talked to my friend who I'm rapidly running out of time to meet and picked up my allen wrenches. I do admit that I'm a sucker for shiny tools at Sears.

Came back and took on my task. The plug appeared to be a bit stuck... I used a pair of pliers on the end of the allen wrench (which would only fit in on the long side, not the short side) and "Pop", it came loose. Well, there was plenty of oil, it came out, spilled on the floor and I screwed the plug back into place. Once in, I looked at it again, and saw a silver ring around its edge and wondered if something wasn't missing. I gave the Haynes manual a quick look at found:

          "If the washer is worn or damaged, replace it."

Crap... I looked around and found nothing... I don't know if it flew off into oblivion or was merely never there... needless to say, I have one more thing on my list to replace now. *sigh*

Am I going to make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment